The Friends are ready and able to accept book donations again! You can drop off small donations (up to two grocery bags) with library staff any time the library is open. To make arrangements for larger donations, please send us an email. Check out our Donate Books & Media page for some guidelines for donations.
On Saturday July 17th the Friends will re-open our book sales with an outdoor pop-up sale. We are soooooo excited! We’ll be offering adult and kid fiction only at this sale. Come visit us and restock your book supply at really great prices.
Date: Saturday, July 17, 2021
Time: 10 am – 4 pm
Location: Tualatin Library Plaza, 18878 SW Martinazzi Ave, Tualatin, Oregon
At this writing, the weather guessers are predicting temperatures ranging from 65 to 81 degrees during the sale hours. Perfect for an outdoor sale!
The Friends are happy to announce our support of the Tualatin Public Library’s 2021 summer reading program. This year we’re contributing in three areas:
- Summer reading grand prizes — a LEGO treehouse kit and a gift certificate for a glassblowing class for two at the Live Love Glass studio.
- Prizes for the Tualatin’s Got Talent kids’ talent show on July 29th.
- Music programs — a concert by the Three for Silver trio on July 1st and a series of three concerts in August by the Willamette Valley Chamber Music Festival.
Check out the library’s calendar for a full list of fun summer reading activities.
We currently have two volunteer opportunities with Friends of the Tualatin Library:
- Membership Coordinator – If you’re detail oriented, know your way around a basic spreadsheet, and like to work independently from home in your jammies, please consider volunteering as Membership Coordinator. This person keeps track of membership renewals and new members. We are currently using mailings to reach out for renewals, but are open to ideas from a new coordinator to streamline the process. The time commitment during the membership drive is 1-2 hours per week but is minimal the rest of the year. Check out the job description for additional information.
- Newsletter Editor – Do you like to write? Looking for a volunteer opportunity with a fun nonprofit? The Friends have an opening for Newsletter Editor. You would write and edit stories for the newsletter, monitor emails and comments from readers, and maintain the newsletter mailing list. Our newsletter is in email format using the MailChimp platform. It’s currently published several times per year; the frequency is open to change depending on the volunteer’s availability. This position requires a commitment of 5 to 10 hours per month. You’ll find additional information in the Newsletter Editor job description.
If you’re interested in either of these positions, please contact President Laura Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org
At the April 12th Tualatin City Council meeting, the Friends of the Tualatin Public Library organization was recognized as one of Tualatin’s Outstanding Volunteer Groups of 2020. Friends President Laura Baker had this to say:
“It was a tough and challenging year on so many levels, one in which many Friends’ groups around the country were understandably not able to operate at all. During lockdown we kept a low profile as required but eventually, our creative, energetic group of volunteers came up with safe ideas that we were able to implement with the support of library staff. I’m humbled by the honor but it’s well deserved by our group.”
Library Volunteer Coordinator Margaret Gunther sums up our year pretty well: “Seriously, in the year that was 2020, we watched the Friends respond to this crisis like the pros you are. Can’t sell books in the Library? You kept selling them on Amazon. Can’t have seasonal sales in the Library? No matter, you came up with Bag o’ Books and still funded our Tween Readers program! And that’s just the stuff I know about, I’m sure there was so much more going on behind the scenes.”
Friends volunteers were also well represented in the City’s list of Adult Outstanding Volunteers with our own Dee and Don Sitko and Kay Kendall receiving special mention.
Contact us if you’d like to learn about opportunities to volunteer with the Friends.